Worker Safety and Comfort:
Foremost in the Design of All Bettcher Products
Since the 1980s, Bettcher Industries has been a leading innovator in the ergonomics field supporting the meat, poultry and food processing industries. We have introduced a steady stream of products and practical solutions that enhance worker safety, comfort and hygiene.
We’re strongly committed to delivering effective and adaptable equipment that enables employees to work as efficiently and comfortably as possible, while maximizing their productivity and throughput:
- When government and poultry industry officials issued a challenge to develop a remedy for cumulative trauma disorder (CTDs) and musculo-skeletal disorders (MSDs) pertaining to hand and forearm stress, Bettcher Industries responded by developing AirShirz air-powered scissors . Not only are these scissors far more easy, comfortable and pain-free to operate than manual scissors, they also incorporate unique, safe opening-and-closing pneumatic technology to guard against accidents or making an accidental cut.
- When employers were looking for a way to eliminate the lower back pain and stress associated with breading food for frying, Bettcher introduced the Optimax automated breading system.
The Ingenious Ergonomic Design of Whizard Trimmers
Every Whizard® Trimmer is designed with features that represent the leading edge in functionality and safety. Since each worker has unique physical attributes, each tool should fit each user. Whizard Series II Trimmers provide flexibility and personal choices in addition to great productivity and efficiency:
- Different blade profiles – each blade (circular knife) is specially engineered to make short work of the most challenging trimming applications such as defatting Monday morning hams
- Sharpening Systems – The best way to reduce cutting effort is with a sharp blade. Bettcher has designed blade sharpeners and steeling devices to help keep edges their sharpest. This includes the E-Z Edge personal sharpener that attaches to a belt loop and can sharpen a blade while it is inside the tool, right on the production line
- Motor Selection – More motor speed and torque works to reduce the effort required to perform the meat trimming operation. A choice of Bettcher drive motors provide flexibility for each application and ample torque to power for even the toughest of trimming applications.
- A selection of – one of which is certain to fit comfortably in the operator’s hand
- A supports the hand during production and allows operators to relax their fingers between work cycles
- Select Whizard® Trimmer models feature an angled head that minimizes wrist deviation for improved productivity and less stress on the wrist and forearm
Cut the hand stress in repeatitive use of scissors with the AirShirz® air-powered scissors. Lightweight and easy to use, the AirShirz is the answer to sore hands by reducing the muscle activity by approximately 90% compared to regular scissors. Unique ergonomic design reduces pressure points and increases the contact area for hand relief, in fact, the AirShirz virtually elminates the need to use the thumb in cutting operations. Further, the blades open automatically any time pressure is relaxed on the finger loop, so no effort is required to open the blades. The operator has total control of the blade speed and position with the finger loop, thereby guarding against accidents. A safety latch secures the blades in a locked position to enhance safety and prevent damage when the scissors are not in use.
The Bettcher commitment to safety extends to a hygienic work environment as well. Every product we manufacture is designed to promote a safe, sanitary workplace and discourage contamination. We incorporate stainless steel and engineered polymer materials in our products – materials that perform extremely well in the plant washdown environment with its use of harsh chemicals.
In addition, our TrimVac Trimmer , introduced in 2002, is a major breakthrough in controlling BSE and other contamination risks from spinal column tissue exposed during beef carcass splitting – including a specially designed suction system that vacuums away and cleanly disposes of the risk material.
Bettcher Yield Specialists
Our highly trained and experienced Yield Specialists will work with you to improve ergonomic working conditions and safety – often right in your plant. We have more than 60 years of collective knowledge in the ergonomics field as it relates to meat processing activities.
Our yield specialists will recommend best-in-class solutions to meet your trimming requirements. Tap into their deep knowledge to determine the best equipment configuration, the proper installation, and hands-on operator training to ensure improved yields results and superior productivity at your plant facility.
Contact your regional manager today to find out how Bettcher Industries can help you work more efficiently, more safely … and more profitably.